Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Problem with Tights

Don't get me wrong, I love tights, in fact most of my clothing budget recently has gone towards expensive tights. If they have an intricate pattern or a vibrant color they call my name, until i can't ignore them any longer and I have to buy them. I don't wear tights often, even though I have quite a collection. This is because they are too wonderful, but terrible at the same time, no matter how "high quality" they are they always get runs, in fact I think the more I spend on tights the chances of getting runs increases with every dollar I spend. You'd think I have learned my lesson and stop buying tights, or maybe I would embrace the runs and go for a more grunge look, but I get this terrible anxiety that the run will grow and grow throughout the day, and I can't bare to wear them anymore, but I couldn't possibly throw them out.

I thought today would be different, the sun was beaming down, beckoning me to wear a skirt with bright yellow tights. I thought today was the day, It would be a good day, and yes it started off that way, but went sour. After a tasty lunch with some good company I thought I would get some work done in the studio. It felt like a thousand degrees up there, my tights were sticking to me, holding in all my sweat, it was stifling, what should have taken an hour took at least two and felt like five. The walk home was amazing, it was cool breezy, every thing the studio was not, that is until I stepped in the puddle, that seeped up my tights, I hurried home to just wanting to relax and wash my tainted tights. When I finally got home I saw a little yellow thread peaking out my tights. I thought I could trim in down so it wouldn't be noticeable, no sooner than I snipped a gapping hole had formed, slowly expanding.. like a black hole, but fleshy color and not black. People say to use nail polish, but I have yet to experience success with this or any other method.

So why is it that I still insist on buying tights? I honestly don't know, but there is nothing better than a new pair of tights the feeling, the patterns, the colors, its bliss. The few run free moments are almost worth the obscene amount I will pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment